Tuesday, August 14, 2018

The Luckier Ones

This is a re-post. It originally appeared on another blog on May 07, 2014. It is re-posted for sentimental reasons.
It's summer here in the Philippines and it seems like the hottest summer so far, though we say that about every summer.
Everyone finds a way to get through the heat, from the most to the least expensive. The rich leave the country to spend the season in a much colder place while those who can afford spend almost everyday going to beaches and various resorts.
For us ordinary citizens, however, we hole up in the coziest part of the house with a pitcher of iced water permanently sitting on the table. Electric fans are turned to #3 the whole day and turned off only to cool the motor down.We are luckier than others.
I saw people toiling under the ruthless heat of the sun because they have no choice. I saw construction workers, street vendors and hired hands at the farm who labor the whole day to earn money to put food on the table.
And every time I think about them, I feel ashamed. I feel ashamed for complaining about not having enough money, about the pile of bills on my desk, about not being able to go somewhere, about the heat, about everything, when I should be grateful for what I have.


Lord, teach me to be thankful for the gift of comfort..

No comments:

Post a Comment